Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Da Vinci Code


Seriously, what's all the fuss about?

I'm a Christian, and after watching the movie--which I found very anti-climatic--I don't understand why this work of FICTION could be causing any controversy.

Even my church tried to take on the issue a few Sundays in a row (yawn), and now that I've seen the movie, I still don't know what the hell they were talking about.

So, let's say the church has lied to people the world over, and there really is a bloodline of Jesus. As a believer, does that negate His crucifixion or resurrection, which is the whole basis of Christianity? Not in my opinion.

Initially I was a little agitated there could be a considerable amount of relevant information being deliberately withheld from me as a Christian, but then I started to really think about it. Being a Christian to me means loving people as you love yourself, having a loving relationship with God, forgiving people, not coveting, lusting, stealing or murdering (and the like). At the end of my life, if I discover there is no God or heaven, what will have changed? I would have treated people with kindness and less judgment, and in the end, I would have simply been a better person as a result of being a Christian and believing in God.

So, if my faith should fail me, I've lost nothing. I've only gained a sense of peace which nothing in this life affords me, and I've been a better person. Simple.

Will I feel angry at being "duped"? I'll be dead, so what the hell difference will it make. Do I wonder if I could have a more "fun" life if I didn't believe? No. I believe that God's principles, if followed, would make us happier and healthier, and what's so awful about that?

I know there is much hypocrisy in religion, but it certainly isn't perpetuated by my understanding and practice of being a Christian. I'm not spreading hate or intolerance (though I'm far from being what anyone might consider an ideal Christian). Still, if someone is turning away from God due to the actions of a group of people, isn't that a bit ridiculous? Someone I used to know has chosen not to believe in God because pets don't go to heaven. Really? That's seriously the reason you are turning away from God and everything Christianity stands for? Well, good luck with that.

I would think atheists would do a bit of research before shutting the door on God. But, at the end of the day, engaging in a relationship with God is a very personal decision between you and God. Da Vinci Code, my opinion, and everything else be damned--the choice is always yours.

Which is exactly how God wants it.

No comments:

Followers