Friday, March 23, 2007

You give Rocky a bad name



The other night I happened to catch an episode of Survivor Fiji in which one of the players is referred to as Rocky--I assume because of a slight resemblance to the illustrious Sylvester Stallone character.

Let me assure you, this is where any similarity ends. As the episode unfolded I became increasingly dismayed, which I think would go as far as leaving a bad aftertaste in the mouth of any Rocky fan.

Survivor Fiji "Rocky" pushes around tribe members he considers weaker, is obnoxious, lazy, and makes comments like, "No offense, I love women. But in this type of environment, this type of game, you don't need any stupid girl stories or distractions or anything stupid like that."

Now consider the story behind Rocky. It's really about about two things: love and a metaphor for how many times a person can get knocked down but keep moving forward. In Rocky III, Rocky takes Adrian all over hell with him--he's training in the slums of LA, he's got Adrian at his side; he's having a melt down on the beach, it's his wife who helps him work through it. When Rocky bails out his no-good brother in-law Paulie, who's angry at his lack of success, Rocky takes it in stride and invariably gives him a job. He doesn't try and teach him a lesson by belittling or shaming him.

So for this clown to refer to himself as "Rocky" (self appointed or not) and act like a jackass is quite disrespectful to the character that is Rocky. True Rocky fans enjoy the character and series because of what they represent: a triumph of spirit and will. I wonder if Survivor "Rocky" has ever seen the bloody movies?

I suppose I am to chalk yet another thing up to "missing the point".

By the way, Rocky enthusiasts will be happy to note that although the Rocky figurine may be difficult to find, they can get the meat fairly easily (seriously, you can buy the "meat" figurine from Rocky). It doesn't get better than this, people.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in a Survivor Pool at work, and none of us can stand Rocky. But, the sad thing is, annoying jackasses like 'Rocky' are actually more entertaining to watch on TV...watching a bunch of nice, well adjusted, hard working people just doesn't have the same entertainment factor.
But, if Rocky wins, I will never watch Survivor again...

TJ said...

My issue is more that he's a jackass but is referred to as Rocky! I think he's a disgrace to anything Rocky related (for the sake of being dramatic). : )

Survivor would be pretty boring without jackasses like that--he should simply not be allowed to take on the nickname.

I like blogging about really random things.

Anonymous said...

Right. I guess my comment didn't really reflect the true intentions of your blog entry.

I haven't seen the Rocky movies (((shudder))) so I suppose that's why I don't see the connection like you do.

So, I'll agree. Survivor Rocky does not deserve such a noble namesake.

We shall now call him 'PooHead'.

Anonymous said...

You mention a key component of Rocky's character-his treatment of the people around him. Whether it's helping Paulie, or his speeches to L'il Marie in Rocky and Robert Jr. in Rocky Balboa, he wants the best for the folks he knows.

There is an underlying decency, a foundation of integrity that underscores all his actions. It certainly made an impression on a specific 11-year-old back in the day.

-Rob

TJ said...

Well said! I was trying to sum up his character, and you captured it perfectly.

: )

Anonymous said...

Enough you two....

Followers