Wednesday, November 14, 2007

An apple a Day


Oh, that's to keep the doctor away. What do you eat a day to keep the dentist away? No, don't tell me to brush and floss everyday, because I already do that.

I was going to write, "I don't know what it is about going to the dentist that makes me miserable," but I know exactly why I feel miserable after going to the dentist. Usually I'm told I need extensive work which insurance is not going to cover (like the time I was told I needed something like 3 crowns, which insurance doesn't fully pay for and runs around $800 a pop). Or maybe it's the times I've gone in for emergency appointments to get teeth pulled, or root canaled, only to discover the dentist did the wrong tooth. Or maybe it was when I burst into tears after hearing how much work needed to be done and the dentist suggested I see a therapist. It could even be the time my Mom didn't realize the extent of our dental coverage and instead paid out of pocket for me to have a tooth pulled (which dentists loathe to do).

Mmmm...

Granted, times have changed for the better since then. Today's appointment revealed no cavities and elicited the comment, "Your bottom teeth are absolutely excellent." I need four old fillings replaced, however, but after that I should be good to go for years to come. I had most of the work done over the last two years (yes, all the root canals and crowns which were deemed warranted, as my dual coverage then was so fantastic, I had to take advantage of it before it ended). And my current insurance will cover everything needed this time around (which I can hardly believe).

Then why do I feel so moody?

It could be simply sitting in the dentist's chair makes me feel like an out of control child who has shitty teeth all over again. Or it could be the dental hygienist asking me today if I'd gotten married because of me changing my name on file (for what should be the very last time). Seriously, if one in two marriages end in divorce, should you not be careful about assuming there's been a happy communion which has resulted in the name change?

Mah. My head, jaw and shoulders ache, and my teeth hurt from the cleaning. Plus, I just realized I don't get paid until tomorrow.

Poor, poor Tiffy. : ) Why is it no one ever feels as sorry for me as I do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, apparently me previous comment was no good, so I'll try again...

It does sound like you've had more-than-average traumatic experiences with dentists than most people, and that's too bad. I once threw up on my dentist because of my gag reflex. Thank god I'm an adult now and can refuse the floride trays.

And, I do agree that people should be careful when assuming your name change is from a marriage, but maybe it's just a reflection of people's optimism...it would be a sad world if their first instinct was divorce...don't you think?

But my advice remains the same .GOI.

At least your teeth hurt from a cleaning, and not from an infection, and at least you're getting a paycheck at all:-)

Please don't delete my comment.

TJ said...

I'm not a fan of phrases like "get over it", "suck it up", or "walk it off". There are many ways to say the same thing, "It's good that's in the past and now you can let it go."

For me, these phrases have very negative connotations because they seem judgmental, which can come across as an attack--they pack an emotional punch.

I think many are cavalier in their use of such a phrase--without any understanding of someone's deeper issues. Who am I to tell anyone to get over anything?

Anyway, dealing with the perception of being attacked is something I struggle with constantly.

Case in point.

I do like the idea that people are maybe being optimistic when assuming you have gotten married which has resulted in the name change. But it doesn't stop it from coming across as insensitive when it's not.

Anonymous said...

I hear what you're saying.

Those phrases do come across as negative. It's not a phrase I use often, but this is the first time I've been called on it.

I am in no position to tell anyone they should just 'get over it'. It's callous.

I've quite enjoyed our 'offline' discussion on the topic.

Followers