Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The dunk

“I am the way and truth and the light.” John 14:6

The words flashed up on an overhead screen beneath my name. We each picked out a bible passage that held meaning for us. It was perfect from the moment I came across it in a little notebook I kept in my purse. I’d written it down it while listening to a Christian radio broadcast. It captured everything I knew Jesus to be so far.

I’m not far along into my walk with God. Two weeks ago baptism was the last thing on my mind. I’m new to Westside, having attended only the last four or five months, and like many people felt I wasn’t in the “right” place spiritually to even consider a thing such as baptism. Also like many others, I’d been baptised as a baby and figured I was good to go as far as God was concerned.

How I ended up on stage, hot tub ready, lights shining down, camera’s rolling and flashing, and hundreds of Christians looking on, is a bit of mystery to me. To say God works in mysterious ways is trite, but none the less true.

Pastor Tom looked excited as he motioned me into the water. It was warm, and I took a few calming breaths before kneeling down in front. My best friend Jorge was on my left, and Pastor Tom murmured, “I hope all of your questions get answered today.”

I didn’t expect an immediate transformation. More than anything I wanted to take a step closer to God.
I wanted to express my faith.

His hands were reassuring on my arm and after answering Pastor Tom’s questions, I let myself fall back gently into the water. The moment of me immersed is an image now etched in Jorge’s mind. He told me afterwards my face was filled with peace. I couldn’t stop smiling then, even now, and the answer in my heart is yes.

Yes, God.

Yes.

No comments:

Followers