Tuesday, April 01, 2008

This too shall pass


And it does. You never feel when it's a bad day, or week (or Easter dinner) that it's going to end, but it does. And what a difference a week makes.

I had my ipod on while I was walking to work this morning. "If I should fall behind", by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band was playing. This is the first song Rob and I will dance to on our wedding day. : ) Since we got engaged, we've been pondering what that first dance song should be. We share many meaningful songs, but with both of us being so into music we wanted the lyrics to be just right.

The first time Rob showed me the video for this song (from the Springsteen video anthology) it was sometime early in the relationship, and I cried. The lyrics made me sad because that's how I imagined marriage to be and that's clearly not how my first marriage was.

"We said we'd walk together baby come what may
That come the twilight should we lose our way
If as we're walkin a hand should slip free
I'll wait for you
And should I fall behind
Wait for me."

A year and a half later, current day: Rob was playing another video concert by Bruce Springsteen which featured a live version of this song (if you haven't figured it out, Bruce is Rob's favourite artist). Hearing the lyrics again, they sounded like wedding vows to me. I thought it would be the perfect first song and Rob agreed.

Back to this morning, the sun was out and the air was crisp as I walked to work. While the song played, I imagined what it would feel like dancing with Rob on our wedding day. He and I have a history of dancing together. : ) We slow danced on our first date to Doc Walker, as mentioned many times, and it was this first dance which captivated me. During our two-step lessons at Ranchman's, I fell in love with Rob, and it was standing across from him on the dance floor when I thought, "This is what it will feel like when we stand across from one another to get married." Then Rob proposed to me on the dance floor during a Doc Walker concert.

I was smiling and filled with love when I got to work. I thanked God for bringing Rob into my life and for blessing me in so many other ways.

This Friday marks our two year Anniversary. While we were at the Flames game on Saturday night, Rob had a pleasant surprise for me:



Need I say more?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fans of Bruce Springsteen are not only devoted but articulate about why they worship the Boss. The new book 'For You: Original Stories & Photographs by Bruce Springsteen's Legendary Fans' is the work of disciples from Boise to Barcelona. The mayor of Delray Beach, Fla., says it best: 'Bruce fans are a fraternity - we share something deep and special, a relationship with the artist and with each other.

TJ said...

I'm articulate about why I love Rob.

: D

Anonymous said...

You'd think I wrote the anonymous post above. :)

Music has always been an essential part of my life, ever since Dad bought me my first LP (Billy Joel's Glass Houses, in 1980). I discovered Bruce during the huge Born in the USA craze in 1984, and went backwards to pick up his entire catalogue.

Bruce's music has been a companion and an education for me these past 24 years, and he's been able to put into words feelings I've never been able to understand fully - from loneliness to escape to love to fear, and beyond. It's thrilling that Tiffany has taken to Bruce as well. His music is one of the foundations of my character, and I'm thrilled to share it with the woman I love, in the same way I've read about many other fans passing on their Springsteen love to their partners and even their children.

I could go on (and on and on), but I've done enough Tolstoy here.

Rob

PS. Anyone reading this blog is bound to keep the details of our first wedding song TO THEMSELVES.

Amanda said...

But of course!
Now, if only I has access to YouTube at work so I could look up the song!

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to the poignant lyrics.

TJ said...

Rob is a little concerned I'm "letting the cat out of the bag".

He doesn't quite understand that no one will be as moved by the song that day as we will be.

TJ said...

Isn't linking to the lyrics more revealing then mentioning the song?

Anonymous said...

My mistake.

This is actually the information on our first dance.

Amanda said...

Rob, sometimes I think you & Warren should be married.

Followers