Saturday, June 14, 2008

35 years old and never kissed a girl


A substantial sinus headache was pulsing on the right side of my face when I woke up this morning. Swinging my feet to the carpet, they were so sore I nearly fell off the bed trying to stand, and I'm limping occassionaly as I walk. My wrist also hurts along with my index finger on my left hand.

Granted, some of these pains are from a recent game of softball, but I can't help wonder how much my physical discomfort relates to me being 35.

35.

I'm officially old. "Five years from 40" as I was fond of reminding Rob when he turned 35 (on our second date). : )

Now, I'm not a person who typically feels bad on a birthday, but turning 35 feels a little different. When I was younger I said I'd be married by 25 and have children by 27.

In reality, by 35 I've been divorced, lived in four cities, one other country, and had one major career change. I could bemoan how little or much I've accomplished compared to anyone else in the same time span, but I really don't have that kind of energy. : D My path is my own and I remind myself not to waste any mental effort feeling bad over what I think I "should" have accomplished by now.

And counting back over my 35 years there are many things I'm grateful for: my divorce, first and foremost, because without it I wouldn't be engaged to the true love of my life and planning a wonderful wedding for this year;

I have many friends and family helping me out with said wedding, and that day we will be surrounded by people I'm thankful to not only share the day but my life with;

My job profile is changing at work for the better and I work with truly fabulous people;

I live in a country that allows me many freedoms, like going to a bookstore and having the salesclerk be so helpful we actually track down the short story my Dad really wanted to read in a Farley Mowat book--which will be a gift to him for Father's Day;

I have the physical ability to play softball--something which makes me feel happy to be alive--although I whine and complain how much I hurt the next day (or week);

We can afford silly luxuries like the Wii, even though it says I'm so over-weight my little computer t-shirt won't fit over my little computer belly. : O

Every day I wake up next to my sweet Robert and thank God for keeping Rob happy, healthy and safe. Who always gives me lovely presents, most importantly his love, and fun things like, "I love Jim" (from The Office) post-it notes and stationary, and "love lottery" scratch-and-wins good for "dinner for 2". : ) Who is a person of such depth, feels something like Tim Russert passing away two days before Father's day as a keen loss, compelling me to sit with him through a tribute to Tim Russert on NBC, which ended with a song by Bruce Springsteen--You're missing--only to discover both Rob and Tim shared the same love of the artist.

I can only conclude turning 35 really isn't that bad at all.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Awesome post!
I just want to point out one thing, in case you haven't noticed it already. But the tones and direction of your posts are changing. You are becoming increasingly positive in your thought process, and that makes me so happy to see! Really, compare some of your recent posts to some of your uber old ones. You've come a long way girl, and 35 is looking pretty damn good on you.

When you said you're trying to look past where you 'thought you'd be' etc, reminded me of something I read about Sheryl Crowe. She said when she beat cancer, it suddenly put things into prespective and she realised that life can't be planned, and that's when she abondoned all her preconceived notions of 'how things should go'. That's when she made the choice to become a single mom and adopt her son Wyatt.

Anyway, great post.

TJ said...

I don't think I had noticed that, actually. Perhaps I'm writing less over all, and when I am writing it's more about the positive things? Hard to say. : )

Followers