Sunday, June 20, 2010

Loving the New Design Options


As I'm still on hiatus from Facebook and Email, I had to have something to kill time with on the Internet, so I chose some yahoo news, of all things, and redesigning my blog. After the Miley Cyrus upskirt photo controversy, I found myself on Perez Hilton's blog and I must say, what a complete waste of time. First and last time I'll be heading there. How are these idiots making a name for themselves? I don't spend much time on Internet sites, even other friend's blogs, for some reason--perhaps I'm narcissistic, or perhaps it makes me feel inadequate when I look at my own blogging capacity or day to day output in life. Hard to say. : )

Anyway, for people who don't know HTML, blogger has offered some nice design options with a fair bit of variety in terms of customization. My only complaint would be in not being able to upload your own photo for a background image. Which I'm sure if I investigated HTML a bit more, I'd be able to do fairly easily (she says without trying). As is, I did manage to kill a fair bit of time and still feel like I was able to get some satisfaction from using the Internet.

Why would I need an Internet "fix"? Well, it's fun for one thing (when family members are not plotting your demise), and it's nice to have access to people outside of the normal means of seeing or calling them. Makes you feel like you're connected without really trying. Makes you feel like you have a "network" even if it's only on the surface.

Not sure how much longer I'll continue with the hiatus, but I do notice feeling much more relaxed. I'm still aware there are possible messages waiting to stress me out, or even none which would also stress me out under the circumstances based on the communications that have been exchanged thus far.

I'm still not getting much more accomplished baby-wise, but did manage to put together the stroller which was fun. Rob and I joked about taking it out for a walk to have someone come up to us to "admire" the baby so we could react in surprise at where said baby was. : ) Seriously though, how come this nesting thing hasn't kicked in? Maybe I'm just wired differently.

Just maybe.

Have to mention my pleasant experience with a mature salesperson at Sephora. I had inquired about whether or not my foundation was the correct shade (I'm always quite frustrated at the difference in color between my neck and face in photos). The woman briefly analyzed my face as compared to my neck, took a scrutinizing look at my complexion and proceeded to compliment the daylights out of me--to the point where I was blushing. Okay, all she was really saying was how great I looked, how I was glowing, that my eye makeup (while very simple) was flattering, and how my blush was nice and just the right amount, which turned into a commentary on how some pregnant women let themselves go, etc, etc.

What pregnant woman does not want to be told how lovely she looks? It certainly beats your parents telling you over and over "how big this baby is going to be" despite the doctor telling you you're measuruing just right.

Ahhhh, how I can not resist the digs into my family! I recognize this for what it is, but this blog remains my outlet of random retribution (as only one family member is aware of it, who I'm rather fond of so do not fear her knowing about my ramblings or acerbic comments). And any attempt to share the blog with other members of my family has resulted in little to no attention as they can not see the world outside their own neruoses.

I really do welcome a new little person with which to shower postive love, reinforcement and attention, it will be a refreshing change of emotional scenery--and just in time, I might add.

No, I don't overly worry that I will pass on any nastiness from my family. Okay, maybe just a little, but I feel confident I will work hard at controlling any learned judging tendencies, and will be able to respect and focus on the well being of this new person Rob and I have knowingly/willingly brought into this world.

Am I going to magically turn into a four leaf clover kind of person? We all know the answer to that question, but I do believe with work and vigilance I'll be able to put aside my own baggage in order to allow this child to see the world through their own experiences which will not tainted by the color of crap that has been passed down from my family crayon box.

If that makes any sense. : ) Sounded good, anyway.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I am going to buy my next round of makeup at Sephora - what a fabulous salesperson!! You should email the head office or something.

As for the '4 leaf clover kind of person' observation...the one thing I have noticed about all my friends who have had kids is this: they are still the same people. If you were a fashionista before babies, you'll likely be one after. If you're a gourmet cook, you'll still be. Etc, Etc. You may end up putting more effort into some things for the sake of you little person, like eating healthier, keeping the floor swept more often or, like you mentioned, putting a positive spin on things. But if those aren't things you did before baby, they will take effort. Having a kid didn't magically turn me into a little suzy homemaker like I hoped it would ;-)

I think I had one weekend of nesting. I had higher expectations for this magical burst of energy everyone talks about. All I can say is, if it hits, run with it. Because after baby O is born, you won't have much energy for a while.

TJ said...

Very good to know about the nesting thing, as I keep wondering when the magical wave will take over.

I know I realistically will not transform into a new being with motherhood, I just hope to be consciously working not to push my baggage onto him or her and not just allowing my cynicism to cloud little babies hopes and dreams. : )

Amanda said...

I can't see that happening. Babies have this fabulous way of giving you a wonderful new perspective on life and showing you how to find the biggest delights in the simplest things in life. You'll always have baggage (and others will always harbour some negativity) but know that your little family unit will be unique and separate from that most of the time. You and Rob are fun, loving, caring, intelligent, reasonable and all those qualities will be what baby sees and feels 99% of the time.

Followers