Monday, March 01, 2010

13 weeks 4 days




O.M.G.

Well, I suppose it was more OMG when I actually saw the positive pregnancy test, but after you've been trying for awhile, it's more joy and less surprise when you finally get the second blue line, or whatever equals a positve result with the test you're using for the moment.

And you think once you've seen one baby, you've seen them all--not so. When the picture is of your baby, it really means something. Rob and I went in for the second ultrasound last Thursday, and the first image we saw was the baby squirming about. Aside from that being a major relief, it was amazing. Rob was on his feet and staring in awe between the screen and I on the table. The technician told us she had to do some measurements and she'd come back to the baby, but that first shot of it moving--kicking--was thrilling. After she took the measurements and came back to the baby, it let out a few more kicks. Rob had tears in his eyes after she left the room.

Aside from the baby itself, my second favorite thing about the pregnancy is sharing it with Rob. I've always had misgivings about becoming a mother--not because I don't think I'd be fantastic, but because I don't harbour any unrealistic expectations of the sacrifice and committment it takes, and how utterly life changing becoming a parent really is. Sharing this experience with Rob has taken away a lot of the gut reaction anxiety and fear, and again, not because I know it's not going to be challenging, but because I have a wonderful partner to share this with. Seeing Rob's excited, awestruck, relieved face was worth it. I can't imagine what I'll feel once we see the baby's face after it's born.

Now after holding the news in for sooooo long, being able to finally tell people is making me giddy! I'm "bingoing" all sorts of people with the information--fully understanding not everyone is genuinely happy for me, but I don't care. I'm pregnant. It makes me happy. I wasn't sure how I would feel, as I'm such a realist about the whole motherhood thing, but now that we've been told it's a low risk pregnancy, and everything looks as good as it can--I'm bloody excited!

Purchases so far:
- one random light for the baby's room (cute solar powered "plane ride light", which I've wanted for my "baby" the first moment I laid eyes on it in a toy store).
- Western baby onesie--of course, soooo cute.
- Flames baby onesies. Ahhh, the joy of purchasing for the future little person is so fun in itself!

Symptoms:
- hardly any of which to speak of. No nausea, hardly any aroma issues, odd physical things here and there, but compared to this woman at work who's at least 6 months pregnant and still on anti-nausea pills--I'm laughing. The symptoms have been so few, I was worried it meant there was something wrong with the pregnancy.

People told so far: Both parents, many at work, brothers, close friends. We didn't make any ceremony out of it with friends, as we just felt so tentative. Now that a few days have passed and we feel a bit more confident and excited, I realized we could have "done it up" a bit, but once the baby gets here, there will be plenty of attention all around.

Of course my Mom is already talking about being in the delivery room, so I'm working on letting those expectations down for her. : ) I'm just trying to get used to the idea there's a little being growing inside me. What with no symptoms for so long, I truly felt maybe it wasn't real. Even after the first ultrasound, and the picture of the little baby bean on the screen, I didn't think it was real.

Now I know, this is real.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

WAHOOOOOOOOOOO! Congrats to you & Rob!!!!

That is the cutest looking baby bean I've seen since Rhys was a bean ;-) Seriously - that kid is gorgeous already. And already has a stellar wardrobe by the sounds of it.

You're right, it is life changing. But from our experience, all the parts that change don't really bug you that much. Because everything you do is for your bean, and your bean is worth it.

You two will be great partners in this parenthood thing, and Warren & I will do everything we can to help in those early days & weeks. We feel like it was yesterday that we were in your shoes.

What a happy day!

Shawna said...

Congratulations!!! You will be wonderful parents! And since you are a realist, like me, I will tell you honestly, the ultimate rewards of parenting are worth the day to day reality. I am genuinely happy for you!!!

Anonymous said...

THE REASON I WAS TEARING UP WAS FROM AN ALLERGIC REACTION. Those rooms are dusty!

Potential names (boy):

Sydney Jarome
Bruce Barack
Rolando Gilbert
Lex Joker

Potential names (girl):


Britney Paris
Odessa Marguerite
Lady Gaga
Snooki JWoww

-Hubby

Followers