Thursday, March 25, 2010

All Baby All The Time


Yup. I'm one of those annoying women who is consumed by her pregnancy (sometimes I show it, but not always). I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm smug, though.

Whatever, it's my body, my baby. : D And here in my blog world, I will choose to write about it as often as I like. My friend Amanda only wrote about her pregnancy on Wednesdays , but considering the blogger's block I've suffered from over the past year, I'm going to take advantage of a positive effect of the pregnancy--I feel like sharing and this is something personal and uplifting I can write about. Plus, it's not like I have a legion of followers to lose. Worst case I lose 2 out of the 4 readers that occasionally stop by.

[Side note to explain my defensiveness: last year I stumbled upon some Brat Free websites where people who do not want children "rant" about "breeders" and "moos"--which is putting it mildly. I've never come across anything so vile and upsetting, but then again I don't typically troll the web looking for the bottom of the barrel of humanity, either. Still, I can't help but wonder how many of these people have glared at me and my bump all the while seething with hatred. Ever since then I've felt the need to defend my choice to have a family and my happiness over it.]

Having said that, I doubt I'll be quoting pounds gained, or showing regular belly photos. Maybe the odd monumental baby bump pic, but so far I've only allowed Rob to take one--and it wasn't particularly charming. Despite my eagerness to talk about said bebe, I'm not of the "pregnancy is the most beautiful time in a woman's life" mindset. A little sad, I know.

Well, maybe just one. From St Patrick's Day. : )


Anyway, I'm 17 weeks today and experienced what I feel was the first definitive emotional manifestation of pregnancy hormones.

While walking into work I heard the honk of a goose (I assume). My thought, "I hope that is not an animal in distress." No dramatic images flooded my mind; I can't even say for sure it was a goose; I just had the one thought. Then I felt tears coming on. I quickly reasoned myself out of the reaction, but when I retold the story a few times to coworkers, I found myself getting emotional all over again (I even cried once).

Luckily I work with fabulous women who helped me laugh it off.

I have a feeling this is just the start of the emotions to come, and I really hope those around me give me a wide berth with regards to my "Baby Brain."

4 comments:

The Blakeneys said...

As long as you can laugh (in hindsight, of course) at your "baby brain" moments, they really are some of the craziest/most memorable/best parts of being pregnant. (Plus these happenings really do make for great blog fodder!)

Amanda said...

OMG. Crying at the honk of a goose. Tiffy, that is truly the definition of pregnancy hormones! I love it.

In the most sincere, honest, from the heart place I can gather from, I mean it when I say - REVEL AWAY. Blog 5 times a day about your pregnancy if you want. People love reading this stuff. Especially people who have been through it. There is something so magical and universal about expecting a baby. I have already looked back at my blog and re-read some pregnancy posts, and was amazed at how much I had forgotten. The emotions and stories I documented are such a blessing. You won't regret it.

PS - You are beautiful.

Shawna said...

Yes, please. Blog lots. Blog, blog, blog. Don't do it for us. (Although we will enjoy reading them all!) Don't do it anyone but you.

Now, the crazy people who don't want children and don't want to hear people talk about children...they are defending themselves and their choice, it is their problem, not yours.

I didn't particularly enjoy pregnancy, but you cried at the honk of a goose. You have to admit, that is pretty awesome!

T said...

Pregnancy is a beautiful time? Ha! My skin was never worse, my legs and feet were swollen and sore, and I got these awesome spider veins which required surgery and hundreds of dollars to fix (and still working at it). I'm not trying to scare you, but all that talk about the "glow" from pregnancy is bullshit if you ask me.

It's what you feel on the inside that makes your beautiful. Especially when the baby starts moving and you feel your baby growing. That puts a pretty big smile on your face and it's hard to look bad when you feel such love.

Having said that, you look really cute in your St. Paddy's Day hat ;-)

Followers