Thursday, April 22, 2010

Baby, Now That I've Found You I Won't Let You Go


I think I felt the baby kick.

I can't be sure, because it didn't feel like what has been described, and really it could still be too soon at 21 weeks today. Also consider the placenta is at the front of my uterus--which acts as padding in terms of me feeling the baby. Amanda didn't feel anything until 23 weeks, and her placenta was at the back, so it's hard to say.

I was lying on my back and felt kind of a poke on the inside--almost like a puff of air. I felt it again in the same spot a moment later, and then another in the same area. Hard to get excited when I don't know if that's the baby or not, but I can't wait for the first time for Rob to feel it--that's bound to be a very special moment. The other day we put earphones up to my belly and played a Bruce Springsteen song (he'll have to share what it was, as I'm not that familiar). He was a tiny bit emotional as he sang along. : ) Now that I know the baby can hear me, I've been talking to it a bit more. Just little things like telling it how much we love it, and how excited we are about it coming along. Makes me feel shy. Overall, I can't believe how vulnernable being pregnant makes me feel.

Had a huge shopping trip at Motherhood Maternity not that long ago, and I rationalized all my purchases by reminding myself I would get a lot of wear out of these clothes over the next four months, so the cost per unit will go down considerably the more I wear each item. Of course you would expect a photo, but I'm still leery of the camera. I know I'll want to get a few, so there's some time yet. What a fantastic store, by the way! Tons of price points, styles, it completely made up for my other maternity shopping experience and has actually made me excited to show off the baby bump.

Went with Amanda to a "Mom to Mom" sale in Okotoks on the weekend. If we'd have known the sex, I'm sure there would have been a ton of clothing purchased, but as it was I got a baby swing, Snugli and a tiny rocking horse for the baby's room. : ) All at pretty good prices, and in reasonable shape.

Having the baby swing in our place is a little surreal, as it's a larger piece of baby furniture. On Sunday I came downstairs to Rob puttering around in the kitchen and the swing was set up just outside the living room couch. I thought, "This is what it's going to be like--only a little baby will be watching in wonder." Quite nice. I can't say enough how lucky I am to have Rob to share this experience with. Aside from the the baby itself, I'm most looking forward to watching Rob turn into a father.

Almost fainted at a Baby Budgeting class the other night. I don't think it was blood sugar related, or heat induced, but I lost hearing in one ear, and the world around me paled a bit as I sat there with my eyes closed breathing and praying for it to pass. Kind of frightening. Nothing like that since then, so hopefully just a blood flow thing.

So far I seem to be craving a lot of milk, even though I drink a fair bit regularly--and if chocolate milk wasn't so high in sugar, I'd drink that by the gallon. My "reduced sugar" Quick makes for a nice substitute, but there's little that can compare to the thick chocolately goodness of actual chocolate milk. And I still want grape flavored things. Not like real grapes, but the artificial grape flavor, making grape koolaid a current favorite. I'd also drink the welch's grape juice non-stop, again, if it wasn't so damn high in sugar. If only restaurants had grape juice on tap and I then could get a grape and soda whenever I'm out...mmmm....grape soda....

Started my pre-natal yoga class last week. First class was with a substitute teacher who declared several times she had never taught pre-natal yoga. Thanks for freaking us all out! Jeez.... If the regular instructor wasn't so pleasant, I'm sure we'd all have been quite vocal at our second class. Overall it was a good experience. I'm a little self conscious that some of the thinner mommies-to-be look about the same size as me, despite being farther along, but I think the class as a whole will help me get over it, as it's too late to go back now! Rob has also mentioned that watching me grow has been a moving experience for him, so that was quite nice to hear.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

That was totally the baby you felt! I remember thinking the descriptions were all bogus. Your description sounds right to me! And from now on they'll just come more often, and then slowly change and get stronger to the point that there is no doubt in your mind.

I love how you say that when you talk to the baby it makes you feel shy. So sweet.

Belly pics can be intimidating, and it's hard to get ones that you don't think look 'gross'. I deleted A LOT of mine. Even if you don't post any of them...take a couple.

Oh - so much more to say, but Rhys is waking up! Gotta go...

T said...

I love that this experience seems to be involving the whole family. That's awesome. I don't know Rob that well but he seems like he is very supportive.

Those first "pokes" of the baby moving are such an odd thing. You hope it's the baby, but then it could just be gas! Probably not though ;-) These next few months of movement are the best because you feel connected to the baby without feeling like you're getting the shit kicked out of you from the inside (this comes later)

Enjoy this time. It's one of the best your pregnancy will offer.

Shawna said...

And you will miss those pokes and kicks after baby is born. And you will get so comfortable talking to baby that you will forget and do it in the grocery store. Hee hee. Becoming a Mom is so lovely.

TJ said...

After a few more days of feeling the exact same sensations, it's definitely the baby!

Rob and I felt it together during Bruce Springsteen's "Waiting on a Sunny Day" (my favourite Springsteen song), so that was quite nice. I had a little tear going on. : )

While I know I've been lucky in my pregnancy, it's been quite fun! It's also quite nice to have some lovely ladies to share the developing memories with.

Robert Bryan said...

The song in question was "Backstreets" and I WAS SUFFERING FROM ALLERGIES.

Followers