Monday, February 18, 2008

Running in heels, Tim Horton's and working out


I was being silly at work running with my filing cabinet in precariously heeled shoes when I skidded onto my ass, narrowly missing a co-worker in the process. The black marks are from the heels of my shoes, and there is an actual dent in the floor. One of my co-workers commented she couldn't believe how far apart my legs had spread.


Why was I running with my filing cabinet? Well, any morning we work out front, the staff all wheel out their filing cabinets so our resources are close at hand. This particular morning was a Friday and I think I was happy the end of the day would mark the beginning of a long weekend. Obviously Karma took the opportunity to kick me in the ass, so I guess I won't be doing that again.

***

Perhaps I thought of Tim Horton's as a healthy alternative to fast food. Not so after picking up the Nutrition Guide at my nearest TH. Even though I didn't expect to see really healthy listings, I'm not sure I was prepared for what I did find:

Chocolate Chip muffin: 430 calories, 16 g of fat, 580 mg of sodium and 69 carbs.
Twelve Grain Bagel: 330 calories, 9 g of fat (the highest of all bagels), 580mg of sodium, and 52 carbs.
Herb and Garlic cream cheese: 141 calories, 13 g of fat, 228 mg of sodium, and 2 carbs.
Iced Cappucino: 250 calories, 11 g of fat, 50 mg of sodium and 33 carbs.

For a grand total of: (not including the muffin, I just threw that in there because it shocked me) 721 calories, 33 g of fat, 891 mg of sodium and 87 carbs. For BREAKFAST.

Wow. Nevermind if you happen to add a donut or God forbid the chocolate chip muffin (which is obviously some sort of meal replacement). It is clear that Tim Horton's should be classified along with all the other fast food outlets.

What really boggles me, though, is how the twelve grain bagel is the worst of all bagels offered at Tim Horton's. I would choose this bagel thinking it to be the healthiest when in reality, it's the worst. It has the most calories, fat, and ties for the most sodium. The only thing it's comparable on is the carbs, which after everything else is said and done--who cares. In reality, when I shop for bagels, or bread (which are all really quite unhealthy), I'm always scanning the nutrition labels to pick the one lowest in everything important to me and one that's marked "whole wheat" as the very first ingredient.

Still, so much for thinking Tim Horton's is the lesser of fast food evils.

***

I just joined Rob's gym, which is a 2 minute walk from our place. Tomorrow is our first 5am workout together. Here's hoping that after 22 sessions (the number it apparently takes to develope a habit), I can call myself an early bird exerciser.

The obvious advantages are not just health related. I would have the work out done for the day, so when I come home tired and cranky from work, I can relax and have my dinner with Robert (instead of going off to work out and coming home by 6:30 or 7 to then begin dinner). Because I'll be up earlier in the morning, I'll have some extra time before actually having to get ready for work, which also might make the early morning rising a bit easier to take (instead of getting up groggy, rushing off to workout, and rushing back to get ready).

Rob has his doubts as to whether I'll be able to pull off this a.m. health revolution, but because I'm currently struggling with the motivation for going to my own gym, anything that might help is better than nothing. : )

4 comments:

Amanda said...

**Running in Heels**
Holy Crap that photo of your skid marks is hilarious. 'karma took this opportunity to kick me in the ass' - priceless. Glad you didn't hurt yourself my dear.

**Tim Hortons**
I share your shock. Really, I think eating out is the devil (yet I continue to do it all the time), no matter where you go. I had the same shock when reading the NI for Starbucks & Second cup lattes. I used to think - hey - it's my calcium (milk) intake mixed with some harmless coffee - NOT when you add the flavored syrup. YIKES! And it's funny you mention the sodium. I used to only look at: Calories, Fat & Fibre (from my WW days), and I just finished a book that mentioned sodium, and some of the foods it can be 'hidden' in. So tonight I looked at the sodium on my tiny little portabello-chicken breast from M&M meats, and it had 675 miligrams of sodium. CRAZY! And that's SO misleading, to have the 12 grain bagel be so high in fat.

**Working Out**
Oh - I wish you all the willpower in the world my dear - 5am is EARLY. But, with a partner to help motivate, I think you have a good chance.
I also need to get motivated - to attempt swimming, since that is now the reccomended form of exercise for my 'loose hip'. Swimming is such a commitment though!

TJ said...

I love swimming, but it's the other people in the pool that get to me. It actually causes me anxiety. I don't know if it's from the confrontation when I first started swimming (with the schitzo in Red Deer), or if it's them splashing me as they swim by, but swimming with other people in the lane really bothers me.

The nice thing about this gym is it has a pool, hot tub, steam room, etc, so on less busy days, that should be quite a treat.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same anxiety about sharing a lane with someone, even though I've been doing it regularly. My hope is usually that someone will approach the pool, see my thrashing about, and decide that another lane would be better for them.

Rob

TJ said...

This is why us swimming together would be mutally beneficial. They will see the two of us thrasing about and definitely consider another lane!

Followers