Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Free Day


I found out yesterday I had today off. Nice. Although I'm sure a better day could have been assigned as off (with more notice), I'll take it. After yesterday's cluster using our new software at work, I could use a day off.

Now I feel as though I was given a mental massage (though my blood pressure seemed a bit high when I tested it at the Superstore...). Anyway, I saw my therapist this morning, conveniently enough, and afterwards I felt relaxed and reassured. To think at the beginning of our sessions I wasn't sure about him. Now I know he's the exact objective opinion I crave. I consider our appointments a mental calibration. Sometimes I brace myself to tell him something I consider revealing, but his response always surprises me. I expect an exaggerated gasp, or a horrified look, but he often tells me my behavior is not only normal, but expected. What a relief.

Because if I only had friends and family opinions to rely on, I'd be in trouble. : ) Not to knock my friends or family, but often people want what's best for you as long as it doesn't make them uncomfortable. When you're recovering from past trauma in any capacity, that schedule rarely conforms to what you want, never mind what anyone else might want.

I don't know how everyone isn't in therapy, actually. Is everyone else really so fantastic with their mental and emotional management? Am I the exception to the norm, which seems unlikely?

I don't know, but at least I'm doing fine according to someone, which will have to do for now. : )


"You don't know me, and you don't wear my chains."

"I think I need a sunrise. I'm tired of the sunset."

- Boston, Augustana

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice blog *_^

TJ said...

Sarcasm, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

Nothing better than a surprise day off!

Hearing you talk about therapy (and this isn't the first time), makes me consider giving it a go. I just wonder...what would I talk about? Don't you need a reason to go to a therapist? I mean, I could think of some issues I need to deal with, but they're more on the medical/physical side, not so much the mental side (I think anyway - I'm sure it has mental side effects, in fact - I'm positive it does). But it just doesn't seem like something I need to talk to a therapist about.

And I'm glad you have a sane opinion to listen to. Family and friends have the best intentions, but we're not perfect, we're not trained in that area, and, we probably don't know the whole story all the time.

Anyway...enjoy your day off!

Followers