Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Sweet Valentine



I'm sure there's some kind of etiquette regarding raving about how wonderful your boyfriend is on Valentine's Day, but when you get an email sent early in the morning titled, "Ten things I love about you", and it's not a canned message--clearly the whole world should hear how amazing he really is. I'd like to add, this is a man who does not "believe" in Valentine's Day, but understands "it's not about him". No, you cannot have him.

Anyway, this email was unbelievable. And it wasn't a bunch of random short bullets, either. It was a thoughtfully complied list of things he truly loves about me, and who can argue with that? Boys everywhere may be cursing such a man, but the payoff for this one day of romance can be long term (in my world anyway). Not that I don't appreciate how wonderful he is the rest of the year, but to discover such a man exists (and is with me), is fabulous. : )

I was all prepared to go on a Valentine rant about how men everywhere were against Valentine's Day and what a disappointment that is. I was going to further add that my couple's therapist from years back said he does things for his wife because he loves her, but she cannot expect him to always like what he's doing. AKA, Rob taking part in VD for my sake, but not being particularly keen on it. I was also going to go on about how I wasn't sure what I thought of this approach--did I think it was reasonable for men to participate unwillingly (as it tends to make us women a bit grumpy when you have your cake and don't like it too).

Then I got Rob's email.

Well, like it or not, he's done a hell of a job (and my expectations were quite low). Compared to any Valentine I've ever had (the last being a present two days later, literally thrown down on the table in front of me), he's the best ever.

But that can be said about Rob on every level. : )

Happy Valentine's Day, indeed.

Yes, yes, what am I doing for him? Plenty (even though he'd rather I didn't). I'm approaching it from a standpoint of what a man might like on such a day, as opposed to simply what I want to give. I'm hoping he might come around to see Valentine's day doesn't have to be exclusively about the women, cards and candy--a man can set an expectation for romance, as well (even if it isn't reasonable to expect us to enjoy it).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tiff!

I'm so glad your Valentine's Day turned out. Rob is so great. Keep up the Blogging - I love delving into your phyche!

Followers